Plants - Bulbs, leaves, and other parts of many plants can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and heart and respiratory problems - depending on how much your dog ingests. Plants of potential concern include tulips, hyacinths, some lilies, daffodils, crocus, and Lily of the Valley (note: some types of lilies can be fatal to cats).
Fertilizers such as bone meal, iron, blood meal, and rose and plant fertilizers can have varying harmful effects - from GI upset or blockage, to iron toxicity, pancreatitis, and seizures. Ingestion of organophosphates such as disulfoton can be fatal.
Pesticides/insecticides - While most of these products simply cause irritation, some may contain organophosphates, which can be life-threatening if consumed in large quantities.
Cocoa bean mulch contains caffeine and theobromine, just like chocolate. These chemicals can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, tremors, and seizures.
You can find more information on outdoor and indoor toxins at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control website. Contact your veterinarian or pet poison hotline right away for treatment advice should your pet encounter these substances.
There's no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog breed, although some…
It can be difficult to stay on top of what's best for your own health…
Kennel cough is the common name given to canine tracheobronchitis, a…