Posted: Oct 26, 2017 11:06 AM CDT
Updated: Dec 12, 2017 10:25 AM CST
The New Yorker has parted ways with its Washington correspondent, Ryan Lizza, following a review of what it called "improper sexual conduct." Lizza strongly denied the allegation.
Celebrity chef Mario Batali is stepping away from his restaurant business and ABC television show amid allegations of sexual misconduct. Eater, the restaurant news website, reported four accounts of women who claimed that Batali "touched them inappropriately in a pattern of behavior that appears to span at least two decades." The women, some of whom worked for Batali, claimed he had groped them, according to Eater. The story did not name them. Batali released a statement saying, "I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family."
Alex Kozinski, who for many years served as chief judge on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, is accused of having subjected a number of the court's female staffers to a range of inappropriate sexual actions, according to The Washington Post. Kozinski, 67, denies the allegations.
Arizona Republican Rep. Trent Franks announced in a statement Thursday night he will resign from Congress at the end of January, after the House Ethics Committee said it would investigate allegations against him of sexual harassment. The resignation comes after House officials learned that he had asked two female employees to bear his child as a surrogate.
New York's Metropolitan Opera said it was suspending its relationship with longtime conductor James Levine pending an investigation into multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against him. The move to suspend Levine came a day after the New York Post first reported that one of Levine's accusers claimed he had sexual contact with Levine as a teenager. Met officials said they were launching an investigation. The New York Times then reported similar accounts from two other men accusing Levine of sexual misconduct.
The head of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee called on Rep. Ruben Kihuen, a Nevada Democrat, to resign after BuzzFeed News published a report Dec. 1, in which a former staffer says Kiheun sexually harassed and inappropriately touched her during his 2016 congressional campaign.
Garrison Keillor, a fixture of public radio and the creator of "A Prairie Home Companion," has been fired because of allegations of misconduct. Minnesota Public Radio said it was terminating its contracts with Keillor and his private media companies, citing "allegations of his inappropriate behavior with an individual who worked with him." It did not elaborate on the nature of the allegations.
Matt Lauer was fired from NBC News after an employee filed a complaint about "inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace." According to sources contacted by The New York Times, reporters had been investigating Lauer's conduct for weeks. In addition to the Times, Variety's New York bureau chief Ramin Setoodeh said on Twitter that he and his colleagues have been doing reporting "about serious sexual harassment allegations against Lauer" for two months. "There were multiple victims," Setoodeh tweeted.
Singer Nick Carter is accused of rape by a former member of the pop group Dream. Melissa Schuman says the alleged rape happened in 2002 at Carter's Santa Monica apartment. Schuman said she repeatedly asked Carter to stop while he performed oral sex on her, and later when he tried to have sex with her. Schuman told Carter she was a virgin and didn't want to have sex "over and over again," but Carter continued with his behavior. He issued a statement saying, ""I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman's accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual... It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm."
John Lasseter, the chief creative officer of Pixar and Disney Animation, is taking a leave of absence after allegations surfaced that he had a reputation among employees "for grabbing, kissing" and "making comments about physical attributes." Lasseter responded to the report by calling his actions "missteps" and issuing an apology to "anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form."
Michigan Rep. John Conyers has been accused of repeatedly making sexual advances to female staff that included requests for sexual acts. The congressman says he "knows nothing of the claims," but in 2015, he settled a wrongful dismissal complaint with a former employee who alleged she was fired because she would not "succumb to [his] sexual advances." Some lawmakers are calling on Conyers to resign if the allegations are true.
Longtime television host Charlie Rose is facing allegations from at least eight women who say Rose made unwanted sexual advances toward them, including lewd phone calls, walking around naked in their presence, or groping their breasts, buttocks or genital areas. Rose released a statement saying he "deeply apologizes" and "accepts responsibility," but he thought he was "pursuing shared feelings." CBS has since suspended Rose from "CBS This Morning."
Minnesota Sen. Al Franken was accused of sexual harassment by a Los Angeles journalist on Nov. 16. The details of incident, which happened while on a USO tour in 2006, include Franken kissing the journalist without her consent and groping her breasts while she slept, which is depicted in a photograph. Franken apologized and agreed to cooperate with a Senate ethics committee review, but the revelations have ignited a conversation around whether or not Franken should resign.
"One Tree Hill" creator Mark Schwahn has been accused of sexual harassment by former cast and crew members of the series.The allegations against Schwahn were first alluded to by a former staff writer Audrey Wauchope on social media and later detailed in an open letter signed by 18 female former cast and crew members. The letter, first published by Variety, says that female staffers were "spoken to in ways that ran the spectrum from deeply upsetting, to traumatizing, to downright illegal" and some "put in positions where we felt physically unsafe."
"Star Trek" star and LBGT icon George Takei is denying allegations that he groped a former male model who says he passed out while drinking at the actor's Los Angeles condo nearly 40 years ago. Takei, 80, denies the allegations.
Comedian Louis C.K. released a statement following sexual misconduct allegations by five women, saying the stories they told are true and he feels remorseful. He went on to say he "wielded his power irresponsibly."
Roy Moore, the Republican nominee in Alabama for a Senate seat, has been accused of initiating a sexual encounter with a 14-year-old girl when he was 32. Three other women also told The Washington Post that Moore pursued them when they were between the ages of 16 and 18 and he was in his early 30s. Moore called the report "completely false" and a "desperate political attack by the National Democrat Party and the Washington Post on this campaign."
Actor Ed Westwick has been accused by two women of rape, but has denied the allegations.
Actor Dustin Hoffman has been accused of sexual harassment against a 17-year-old intern in 1985. Writer Anna Graham Hunter alleges that the actor, now 80, groped her on the set of TV movie Death of a Salesman and spoke inappropriately about sex with her. Hoffman released a statement saying he was sorry and the alleged action is not reflective of who his character.
Movie producer Brett Ratner has been accused of multiple cases of sexual misconduct or harassment — including by actresses Olivia Munn and Natasha Henstridge. In an article published by the Los Angeles Times, six women spoke out against Ratner. Ratner's attorney Martin Singer vehemently disputed the specific allegations saying, "no woman has ever made a claim against him for sexual misconduct or sexual harassment."
Actor and comedian Andy Dick has been fired from his role in the film "Raising Buchanan" following claims of sexual harassment and misconduct on set. Dick was accused of "groping people's genitals, unwanted kissing/licking and sexual propositions of at least four members of the production. Dick has denied groping anyone.
Actor Anthony Rapp has accused Kevin Spacey of making a sexual advance at him when Rapp was 14. In an interview with Buzzfeed, Rapp said Spacey picked him up, put him on his bed and "was trying to get with me sexually" in 1986. Spacey was 26 at the time. Spacey, who has been famously private about his personal life, said that he now lives as a gay man -- which marked the first time the actor has made a public statement about his sexual orientation.
Journalist Mark Halperin was accused of sexually harassing five women when he worked as political director at ABC News. The women accused Halperin of propositioning employees for sex, kissing and grabbing one woman's breasts against her will and other forms of inappropriate touching. Halperin apologized in a statement, saying he "did pursue relationships with women" that he worked with but that he now understands "that my behavior was inappropriate and caused others pain." He did, however, deny grabbing a woman's breasts and pressing his genitals against the bodies of three other women.
Celebrity chef John Besh stepped down from the company he founded after about two dozen current and former female employees accused him and other male workers of sexual harassment. One former employee filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, claiming that Besh "attempted to coerce" her during a "monthslong sexual relationship."
Roy Price, the head of Amazon Studios, quit five days after being put on leave after a producer accused him of sexual harassment. Price was suspended after a story from The Hollywood Reporter detailing harassment allegations against him made by Isa Hackett, a producer of the Amazon series "The Man in the High Castle." Hackett alleged that Price repeatedly made lewd comments to her, despite her rebuffs.
Nickelodeon fired the creator of "The Loud House" animated show, Chris Savino, after a dozen women accused him, in a story from the Hollywood Reporter, of "sexual harassment, unwanted advances and inappropriate behavior."
The 41st president of the United States apologized to an actress after she wrote in a now-deleted Instagram post that Bush sexually assaulted her while she posed for a picture with him. Heather Lind said Bush touched her inappropriately from behind twice and told her "a dirty joke." "President Bush would never -- under any circumstance -- intentionally cause anyone distress, and he most sincerely apologizes if his attempt at humor offended Ms. Lind," the former President's spokesman said.
The Oscar-winning actor and director was one of the first to come out and denounce Weinstein's alleged behavior. But then he found himself the target of a sex harassment accusation after old videos began to surface of Affleck on "MTV's Total Request Live" with actress Hilarie Burton. She said Affleck groped her during an appearance on the show, which she co-hosted at the time. "I acted inappropriately toward Ms. Burton and I sincerely apologize," Affleck later wrote on Twitter.
James Toback, a Hollywood screenwriter and director, was accused by multiple women of sexual harassment throughout the years in a piece from the Los Angeles Times. The women said Toback would lure them to hotel rooms, movie trailers and other places for what was billed as interviews or auditions. But the women say these meetings would quickly turn sexual in nature. Toback told the newspaper he had never met any of the women -- or if he did meet them, it "was for five minutes and (he had) no recollection." After the story ran, more than 200 other women came forward.
A September New York Times article detailed numerous accusations of sexual harassment against Harvey Weinstein, a powerful movie producer, whose films have won a number of Academy Awards. The Times story detailed three decades' worth of sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact accusations made against Weinstein by a number of women. The piece also mentioned at least eight settlements Weinstein had reached with his accusers through the years. More than 40 woman have since stepped forward with accusations since the story broke.