Police Officer Shot and Killed on Texas Tech Campus Monday Night

Updated for Texas Tech statement.

LUBBOCK, TX - Lubbock Police and EMS were called to the Texas Tech Police Department Monday evening for the report of a shooting. Just before 9:30 p.m. a suspect was taken into custody near the Lubbock Coliseum. 

Related Story: LPD Assists Texas Tech PD on Active Shooter Situation

Related Story: Hollis Daniels Confessed to Killing Police Officer on Campus, According to Warrant 

Texas Tech issued the following statement just before 9:00 p.m.

Earlier this evening, Texas Tech Police made a student welfare check. Upon entering the room, officers found evidence of drugs and drug paraphernalia. Officers brought the suspect to the police station for standard debriefing. During this time, the suspect pulled a gun and shot an officer in the head. The officer is deceased. The suspect fled on foot and is currently still at-large. Texas Tech University campus is on lockdown.

The time of the initial call of a shooting was about 7:50 p.m., and the address was 413 Flint Avenue.

The all-clear was given about 9:35 p.m. from Texas Tech University with a message that said in part, "The suspect has been apprehended. Lockdown lifted on campus."

The university later publicly identified the suspect as Hollis A. Daniels, 19.

Lubbock Police said “A Texas Tech Officer was able to tackle the suspect as he fled & took him into custody. LPD officers were close behind & assisted.”

The following was sent as a Texas Tech Emergency Alert after the shooting but before the all clear was given:

This is TTU. A shooting has been reported at the Texas Tech Police Department. At this time, the shooter is still at large. The campus is on lockdown. Take shelter in a safe location. Additional information to come. For more information go to emergency.ttu.edu.  

Related Story: Texas Governor, Tech Chancellor and Many Others React to Murder on Campus 

More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News