Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Texas Tech takes No. 2 Seed in Coral Gables Regional
LUBBOCK, Texas (Texas Tech Press Release) – For the first time in a decade, Texas Tech will play in the NCAA Tournament as the No. 2 seed in the Coral Gables Regional, hosted by Miami (Fla.).
Texas Tech (40-18), who will make its 10th all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament – and first since 2004 – will open the Coral Gables Regional against third-seeded Columbia (29-18) at 2 p.m. ET on Friday, May 30. The Red Raiders were awarded an at-large bid while Columbia won the Ivy League accepting an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament.
The other half of the regional bracket will feature the Miami Hurricanes (41-17) who is hosting a regional for the 24th time and will face fourth-seeded Bethune Cookman (26-31) at 7 p.m. ET Friday, May 30 on ESPN3.
The Red Raiders end a 10-year drought from NCAA Tournament play while its most recent appearance in the tournament came in 2004 at the Atlanta Regional hosted by Georgia Tech. The Red Raiders went 2-2 in the Atlanta Regional with a pair of wins over Mississippi State (10-6, 14-7) and both losses coming against No. 5 Georgia Tech (3-9, 3-5), including a loss to the Yellow Jackets in the regional finals.
Tech is 2-1 all-time against its regional tournament field with an 0-1 record against Miami (1998 Regional at Coral Gables) and 2-0 record against Bethune-Cookman (2010 – in Lubbock). Tech has never played Columbia.
Texas Tech is 15-18 all-time in nine NCAA Tournament appearances (1995-2002, 2004) while second-year head coach Tim Tadlock becomes just the second head coach in school history to lead the Red Raiders to the NCAA Tournament.
For more information on the Texas Tech Red Raiders at the Coral Gables Regional head to www.TexasTech.com.
TEXAS TECH NCAA TOURNAMENT NOTES:
- Marks the fifth time in school history to make the tournament as a No. 2 seed… Tech is 7-8 as a two-seed in the NCAA Tournament… both of Tech’s last two appearances in the tournament came as a No. 2 seed at the Rice Regional in 2002 (1-2) and in the Atlanta Regional in 2004 (2-2).
- Tech will play in the state of Florida for the second time during NCAA Tournament play (1998 Coral Gables Regional, 1-2 record).
- Columbia will mark Tech’s 22nd all-time opponent in the NCAA Tournament.
- Second-year head coach Tim Tadlock is just the second coach in school history to lead the Red Raiders to the NCAA Tournament. Former coach Larry Hays led Tech to its nine previous appearances (1995-2002, 2004).
- Tech has played in four regional finals in 1995, 1999, 2001 and 2004.
- Texas Tech is 3-0 all-time against Ivy League opponents with a 2-0 mark against Harvard (2004 in Lubbock) and 1-0 record against Princeton (2000 at Rice Regional).