Doctors Warn Parents About Dangers of a Popular Toy

Published 08/22 2012 04:07PM

Updated 08/22 2012 04:24PM

Do you have any BuckyBalls, ZenMagnets, or other small, high-powered magnets in your home? If so, stop what you're doing right now and put them in a safe place.

Doctors are seeing an increase in the number of small children being rushed to the ER after swallowing rare earth magnets, which are sold as novelty toys for kids (and adults) ages 14 and up. As Maryland mom Laura Bjarnason knows all too well, this is an emergency situation.

Bjarnason's 19-month-old son, Pressley,  swallowed a whopping 18 of the magnets, but she got him to the Johns Hopkins ER quickly, where Dr. Oliva-Hemker spent hours removing them with a scope. Oliva-Hemker says Bjarnason did the right thing; parents should not wait for these magnets to pass through a child's digestive system because of the holes and blockages they can cause as they move around.

To see Pressley's X-Ray, watch the video.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.