Family of Nine Loses Their Home to a Fire in Olton

OLTON, TEXAS - A family of nine has lost everything they own after their home of two decades was taken by a fire in Olton. Rosie Rivera Marquez said she made a quick trip to Lubbock to go to the bank when her son called her.

"He said 'It's our house, it's in flames, I don't know how to tell you this, it's our house, no one else's just ours,'"said Marquez.

Firefighters took three hours fighting the fire, and told the family it started due to an electrical shortage from the extension chord that was plugged into the fridge. The only person in the home during the fire was Rosie's father. Her son said when he arrived to the home, he saw a man run into the house and pull his grandpa out.

"Paul Perelles from here in Olton was driving by on a golf cart and saved my dad's life, he kicked down the door, grabbed my dad and ran through the flames," Marquez said.

The family's German shepherd suffered from burns but is still alive. Marquez said the family is temporarily staying at her daughter's house, Crystal Marquez, making it 13 people in one small area. 

"I feel like it was another one of God's plans, God asking me 'Are you going to help them or are you going to let them suffer?' I didn't want my brothers to go without a home and my parents have always been there for me," Marquez said. 

The family said the Cities of Olton and Plainview have been so helpful, but they are still far from getting back on their feet. They are hoping to gather enough to buy a trailer house.

If you are interested in helping you can either click here or email: Connie_42_gab@yahoo.com


More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News