Many Left Homeless After Devastating House Fires

Published 12/17 2013 06:25PM

Updated 12/17 2013 06:35PM

By Alison Morris

LUBBOCK, TX- The latest house fire in Lubbock ravaged a house on the 1600 block of 23rd Street leaving little behind.

"You know, here at the holiday time, it's especially hard and difficult losing a home," said Shannon Smith, Executive Director of the South Plains Red Cross.

Smith said they've been extremely busy taking care of all the people who lost their homes and most of their possessions.

"There's just a lot of shock," said Smith. "It takes a little bit, I think to get back on their feet and realize what all they've lost."

Tuesday mornings fire, caused by a candle, resulted in a complete loss.

Another fire was also caused by a candle early Monday morning.

A mobile home went up in flames.

It too was a total loss.

"To lose everything- all of your possessions- all at once, unexpectedly at that, is very difficult," said Smith.

A fire on Monday afternoon resulted in an arrest with the home owner suspected of stealing electricity. 

For those who have no where to turn but the Red Cross have only a short time to figure out where to go.

"You know, we look at holidays as a cheerful time" said Smith. "And there's so many people that are struggling and hurting."

The Red Cross provides victims of disaster a place to stay for 3 days, as well as money, clothing, and food.

To donate money to the Red Cross to help these folks, visit their website,, and search for Lubbock.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon


Featured Business