LUBBOCK, TX -- A representative of the Park Tower Apartments, 1617 27th Street, said Wednesday afternoon he could not comment in detail about a lawsuit filed by the family of Jose Aguirre, 43, for a $1,000,000 or more.
The lawsuit against Park Towers LLC was filed last week in the 72nd District Court. Carter E. Stanley, owner of the LLC, said he was sad about the death of Aguirre on April 10. He also said he was helping to raise money for Aguirre’s family.
Aguirre, known as Joe, was working with another employee to update the building’s fire alarm system, according to the lawsuit, when he was electrocuted on the 9th floor. On the day it happened, residents described what they thought was a “boom” or a loud thunking sound. Residents also said smoke was rising from Aguirre’s body after he suffered a high-voltage electrical shock.
EMS tried to resuscitate Aguirre, but he was later pronounced dead after being taken to the hospital.
The lawsuit said, “Park Tower tenants looked on in shock as one of their own was wheeled out of the apartment building.”
It also said, “He was in good health with a reasonable life expectancy of 72 years. He was industrious, caring, energetic, and an affectionate husband and spouse.”
The lawsuit claimed Stanley was negligent for not supervising employees who did not have the proper training to work around electrical conduits and transformers.
Asked if the lawsuit surprised him, Stanley answered, “I think it’s somewhat common practice in a situation like this.”
Stanley said he could not comment further on the lawsuit.
“We’re all saddened by what happened here,” Stanley said. “This has been a very tragic situation. I wish things could change and we could go back to where it didn’t happen.”
Stanley also said Park Towers will match dollar-for-dollar money that is raised to help Aguirre’s family with the cost of burial and other expenses.
“We’ve had several people at Park Towers – tenants that knew Joe and staff members that knew Joe – all helped to contribute funds toward the family,” Stanley said. “We hope the community will do the same, of course.”
“We all very much miss him,” Stanley said.
Stanley said the building was constructed at a time when electrical transformers were put inside. He said construction standards have changed since then for safety reasons.
“We’ve since taken steps to make sure those transformer rooms are locked,” Stanley said.
“We’re re-evaluating all of the safety measures we’re taking, not just in the electrical area.”
EverythingLubbock.com is told Ted Liggett with Liggett Law Group is currently out of town.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.