Property Appraisals Going Out To Homeowners, Can Protest

Published 04/07 2014 10:54PM

Updated 04/08 2014 03:48PM

By Monica Yantosh

LUBBOCK, TX -- Changes in property values have begun to go out to homeowners, and there is a chance for protest if you don't agree.

According to officials at the Lubbock County Appraisal District, they began sending out changes at the beginning of April. You'll only get a notice if the change is more than $100, or if the ownership of the home has changed before January 1, 2014.

If you do get a change in your home's value, and it's something you don't agree with, you do have the option to protest the change. One example of why someone might protest their home's value is if there is damage to the home that has not been fixed.

"If a property owner has a problem with their home that we're not aware of, we encourage them to bring evidence of that and we can certainly consider that in their property's value," Tim Radloff, Chief Appraiser at Lubbock Central Appraisal District said.

Radloff said in 2013, almost 7,000 protests were filed. He said in comparison, more than 9,000 protests were filed in 2008, and prior to 2008, some homes were going up between five and six percent in value.

There are a few ways you can file a protest, including mailing in a form, calling the LCAD office, or going to the office to speak with someone in person.

Any protests need to be filed by June 1, 2014 in order to be considered and filing a protest does not guarantee a change.
  Hearings will begin on May 5 and continue through July 15.

More information, including information on any exemptions, can be found here, on the LCAD website.

Video for mobile users

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon


Featured Business