Teenager Injured in Saturday's Accident Described as 'Happy Girl', Currently in Critical Condition

Published 02/03 2014 06:00PM

Updated 02/03 2014 10:57PM

By Monica Yantosh

LUBBOCK, TX -- The 19-year-old girl injured in Saturday's accident at 34th and Knoxville is still in the hospital, currently in critical condition.

According to Lubbock Police, around 3 p.m., Guadalupe Miguel Alejandro wad heading north on Knoxville and sped through a stop sign at 34th and Knoxville. That's when police said Alejandro hit 19-year-old Sierra Harris' car.

Harris was sent to University Medical Center with life threatening injuries.  As of Monday, she was in critical condition, and is said to be stable.

LPD said Alejandro was also taken to UMC to be treated for injuries. He was then arrested on charges of intoxication assault, and later bonded out of jail.

"Which reflects the fact that we feel that there was probable cause to believe that he was intoxicated while driving, and as a result of that intoxication, caused an accident that resulted in serious bodily injury," Sergeant Robert Hook with Lubbock Police said about the arrest.

Harris works at Caprock Cafe, just down the street from where the accident happened. Her co-workers said she had worked Saturday and had left work right before the accident happened. They said she is a happy girl, and it's not the same right now while she's in the hospital. 

"We're all hoping for her to pull through, but we're all very scared for her, and very upset that this happened to such a wonderful girl, I mean you couldn't ask for a better employee, a better person," Crystal Meister said. Meister is a manager at Caprock Cafe. "You just don't really know how to take it, at first, you don't and then you just hope she does good, that she's going to be better."

One of Harris' co-workers, Taylor Foster, said all the girls at work are questioning what happen, "just asking why it had to happen, you know, especially to her," Foster said.

The will be accident reconstruction going on at the intersection of 34th and Knoxville Tuesday morning, starting at 10. 

"In this case, we anticipate the filing of felony charges, and so we will need to be prepared to go into court and explain to a jury what happened in this accident," Sergeant Hook said about why they're doing an accident reconstruction for this accident.

Police said they expect for it to take about three hours, and that to expect Knoxville to be closed from 33rd to 35th Street, while 34th will be open in both directions, but only one lane of traffic each way.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon


Featured Business