According to public records on the City of Lubbock website, “The Landwer house was built in the early 1900's and was one of the first structures located in the Canyon Lakes System.”
According to those same records, “It was acquired by the City in 1972, and was utilized as a party house until a few years ago. … However, it is old and deteriorating and no longer able to be used.”
According to the Lubbock Heritage Society, “M.F. Landwer, a Texas Tech biology professor, built the house in 1936 when the surrounding canyon was still a predominately rural area.”
Also according to the Heritage Society, “Texas Tech architecture students contributed to the house plans that included a stucco exterior, clay tile roof, and a distinctive ornate chimney.”
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.