Mandatory irrigation restrictions associated with Stage 2 include:
• Landscape irrigation allowed only once per week
• The irrigation schedule will be based on the last digit of the street address
• No irrigation can occur between 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
• Irrigation must be limited to 1 ½ inches of water per week
• Irrigation must be without significant runoff
• New plant material may be irrigated more frequently for a limited time if a variance request is applied for and approved by the City (go to water.mylubbock.us and view variance link for more information)
• Hand watering (holding the water hose in your hand) is allowed at any time on any day
• City operations and wholesale customers must adhere to restrictions
Mandatory “non-essential water use” restrictions associated with Stage 2 include:
• No use of water to wash vehicles at residences
• No spray down of hard surfaced areas
• No spray down of buildings
• No flushing gutters
• No use of water in fountains or ponds for aesthetic purposes except to support aquatic life
The City implemented Stage 1 of its drought contingency plan in 2006 due to low water levels in Lake Meredith. By 2011, the entire state of Texas entered into another drought cycle which has lasted several years. National weather forecasts predict that the drought could continue through this summer. Therefore, as a precautionary measure, the City will move to Stage 2 of its drought contingency plan if weather conditions do not change in the next couple of months.
Lubbock is fortunate to have a diversified water supply. Approximately 80% of our water supply consists of groundwater from the City-owned Bailey County Well Field and the Canadian River Municipal Water Authority’s well field in Roberts County. The other 20% of our water supply consists of surface water from Lake Alan Henry. This lake is at 63% of its total capacity. While our surface water and groundwater supplies are reliable sources of water given our current usage, delivery capacity could be a problem during the summer months if demand increases dramatically.
(Information from City of Lubbock)
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.