LUBBOCK, TX - Early voting for the November 8, 2016 General Election will begin Monday here in Texas.
The twelve day early voting period will run from Monday, October 24 to Friday, November 4.
Voters will have to bring a photo ID in order to vote. The ID must be current, or be expired for less than 4 years.
The seven forms of approved photo ID are:
- Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
- Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
- Texas license to carry a handgun issued by DPS
- United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
- United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
- United States passport
However, if you don't have a photo ID, you can still cast your vote. You may recall a court ruled earlier this year the state's voter ID law violates the Voting Rights Act.
As provided by a court order, if a voter has a reasonable impediment to obtaining one of the seven forms of approved photo ID, the voter may vote by (1) signing a declaration at the polls explaining why the voter is unable to obtain one of the seven forms of approved photo ID, and (2) providing one of various forms of supporting documentation.
Supporting documentation can be:
- Valid voter registration certificate
- Certified birth certificate
- Current utility bill
- Government check
- Paystub or bank statement that includes your name and address
- Copy of or original government document with your name and an address (original required if it contains a photograph).
If a voter meets these requirements and is otherwise eligible to vote, the voter will be able to cast a regular ballot in the election.
Texas Secretary of State Carlos H. Cascos recently announced there are now more 15 million registered voters in the state, an all-time record.
Voters can learn more by visiting VoteTexas.gov or by calling 1-800-252-VOTE.
An Amber Alert was issued for Stormie Clemmer, 15, of Alpine,…
The Lubbock Chamber of Commerce is proud to announce that Eddie…
The Lubbock Boys & Girls Club is holding its 25th Annual Jr. Golf…