“Green Dot Cards can be used to pay bills online and make purchases on the Internet,” the local BBB said in a written statement last week. “Unfortunately, criminals are using them to con consumers since they are untraceable.”
The BBB offered expertise on how to avoid the Green Dot scam:
- Be suspicious of callers who demand immediate payment for any reason.
- Protect your Green Dot MoneyPak card number. Remember that anyone who has that number has access to the funds on your card.
- Never give out personal or financial information to anyone who emails or calls you unsolicited.
- Never wire money, provide debit or credit card numbers or Green Dot MoneyPak card numbers to someone you do not know.
- Utility companies and government agencies will not contact you demanding immediate payment by MoneyPak.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.