LUBBOCK, TX - Texas Tech University police were investigating a suspicious package in the area outside Talkington Residence Hall Monday afternoon, located near Boston Avenue and 19th Street.
The situation started before 2:30 and the all-clear was given just before 4:55 p.m.
At 4:35 p.m. Tech announced that the suspicious package was removed by the Lubbock Police bomb squad.
Texas Tech announced the all-clear on Twitter, saying, "All Clear: Suspicious device has been removed. University police have checked, approved area for re-entry."
Two emergency alerts were initially issued: One describing a suspicious package, and another describing a campus bomb threat. A third alert updated the community about the bomb squad being on campus.
A police robot was seen near Talkington Hall before the device was moved.
At about 3:00 p.m. a bomb threat and bank robbery were reported at 19th Street and Quaker Avenue. Police said the two situations might be related.
After 5:00 pm, Texas Tech issued the following statement:
Texas Tech Police Department (TTPD) received a call this afternoon concerning a “suspicious package” in the parking lot east of Talkington Hall.
TTPD, along with the bomb squad unit of the Lubbock Police Department and Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office, responded, contained the device and removed it from campus. The situation is still under investigation by TTPD and other local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
An “all clear” has been issued.
Below are the emergency messages sent by Texas Tech University in chronological order:
1. (2:25 p.m.) This is an emergency notification from Texas Tech University. Texas Tech police are investigating a suspicious package in the area of Talkington Hall Parking. Please avoid the area at this time. Updates will be provided as available.
2. (2:27 p.m.) This is an emergency notification from Texas Tech University. University police are investigating a bomb threat to campus. Immediately evacuate all buildings and move to an off-campus location with personal belongings. Buses will be rerouted. For more information, go to emergency.ttu.edu.
3. (2:55 p.m.) This is an update from Texas Tech University. The bomb squad is investigating a suspicious package near Talkington Hall. Please continue to avoid the area.
4. (4:37 p.m.) This is an update from Texas Tech University. The suspicious device has been placed in a containment pod and removed from campus. At this time the area is continuing to be searched. Please continue to avoid the area.
5. (4:53 p.m.) This is an all-clear message from Texas Tech University. At this time, the suspicious device has been removed from the area. University police have checked and approved the area for re-entry. For more information go to emergency.ttu.edu.
* Note: The first two alerts were received in different orders for some individuals, and the times might have varied for each recipient.
In response to an open records request, the Lubbock County Sheriff's…
Texas Tech was tied with Gonzaga for 6th in the latest Associated…
In this week's Ag Journal, folks from the South Plains Underground…