Cheddar and Mushroom Breakfast Squares
Makes 9 Servings Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 60 min
• 2 teaspoons butter
• 2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
• 1/2 cup sliced green onion, including green tops
• 6 slices country-style whole-grain bread, cubed
• 2 cups shredded, reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
• 2 cups egg substitute
• 1 teaspoon red or green hot pepper sauce
1. Spray an 8 x 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray;set aside.
2. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add mushrooms. Cook mushrooms about 5 minutes or until softened and brown at edges. Stirin green onion; set aside.
3. Place 1/2 of the bread cubes in prepared bakingdish. Scatter 1/2 of the mushroom mixture and 1/2 of the cheese over breadcubes. Layer remaining bread cubes and mushroom mixture; set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat milk, egg substitute and pepper sauce until wellblended. Pour milk mixture over bread cubes and top with the remainingcheese.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake, covered for 45 minutes.
6. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until top is puffed up andcheese is browned at edges. Let cool for 5 minutes; cut into squares toserve.
· Make ahead suggestion: cover dish with foil and refrigerate for 8-10 hours before baking.
· Create your own variations by using other vegetables.
Recipe created by 3-Every-Day™ of Dairy.
Nutritional Facts: 210 Calories, 8g Fat, 4.5 g Saturated Fat, 20 mg Cholesterol, 310 mg Sodium,
17 g Protein, 18 g Carbohydrates, 1 g Dietary Fiber, 30% Daily Value Calcium
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.