Home-made Broccoli Mac N’ Cheese – serves 8
NO BUTTER NEEDED
· 12 oz uncooked Whole Wheat Pasta
· 3 cups chopped fresh Broccoli Florets
· 1 cup reduced-fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
· 1/3 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
· 3 tablespoons reduced-fat grated Parmesan Cheese
· 2 ½ cup Skim Milk
· 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
· 1/2 tablespoon Onion Powder
· Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions, adding broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese and set aside.
- In a saucepan, whisk together milk and flour until blended; add onion powder. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumbs. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.