LUBBOCK, Texas - No. 38 Texas Tech (9-5) ran its winning streak to four straight, as the Red Raiders picked up key wins from three freshmen to top No. 59 Indiana, 4-2, at the Falls Athletic Club on Sunday.
The match, which was originally slated to be played outdoors at the McLeod Tennis Center, was moved indoors due to high winds in excess of 30 miles per hour. The two teams started the match with singles due to the move indoors.
Texas Tech freshman Johan Willems got on the board first, as he toppled Dimitrija Tasic, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3.
Indiana (9-10) immediate answered when Daniel Bednarczyk ousted Francisco Zambon, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5), to tie the match, 1-1.
Texas Tech regained the lead when No. 101 Hugo Dojas upset No. 61 Sam Monette in a three-set thriller, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4. Red Raider freshman Maxime Hinnisdaels followed suit with a 6-0, 6-1 blasting of Elliott Yee at No. 5, giving Texas Tech a 3-1 lead.
Sven Lalic held off Felipe Soares, 6-7 (7-5), 7-5, 6-1, to cut the Red Raider lead to 3-2 with one match remaining.
Freshman Jolan Cailleau opened with a 6-3 first set win over Stefan Lugonjic, but the Hoosier answered with a 6-3 second set victory. Cailleau regrouped and ran away with a 6-1 victory in the third to secure the victory and the match for Texas Tech.
With the victory in hand, both teams passed on playing doubles.
Texas Tech will now host No. 32 Louisville (13-4) on Thursday at 6 p.m. at the McLeod Tennis Center.#38 Texas Tech 4, #59 Indiana 2
Lubbock, Texas (The Falls Athleic Club)
1. Sven Lalic (IU) def. Felipe Soares (TT) 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-1
2. #101 Hugo Dojas (TT) def. #61 Sam Monette (IU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. Daniel Bednarczyk (IU) def. Francisco Zambon (TT) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Johann Willems (TT) def. Dimitrija Tasic (IU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
5. Maxime Hinnisdaels (TT) def. Elliott Yee (IU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jolan Cailleau (TT) def. Stefan Lugonjic (IU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
1. Felipe Soares / Hugo Dojas (TT) vs. Sven Lalic / Dimitrija Tasic (IU) unfinished
2. Carlos DiLaura / Johann Willems (TT) vs. Sam Monette / Daniel Bednarczyk (IU) unfinished
3. Francisco Zambon / Maxime Hinnisdaels (TT) vs. Chris Essick / Stefan Lugonjic (IU) unfinished
Records: #59 Indiana 9-10; #38 Texas Tech 9-5
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (4,3,2,5,1,6)
NOTE: The match was moved indoors due to high winds.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.