The top two pitching staffs in the Big 12 meet up at Rip Griffin Park on Friday at 6:30 p.m.
Texas Tech's 2.78 ERA is second in the conference while Texas boosts a team ERA of 1.78.
The Red Raiders are looking to win their first Friday night game in Big 12 play.
Texas Tech has been shutout in both Big 12 series openers this season. The Red Raiders lost to Baylor 1-0 on March 14 and last Friday TCU won 9-0.TEXAS TECH NOTES
No. 24 Texas Tech (21-7, 3-3 Big 12) hosts No. 12 Texas (20-6, 1-2) for its Big 12 home opener Mar. 28-30 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders are 16-2 at home this season and coming off a midweek doubleheader sweep over Arkansas-Pine Bluff (2-0, 5-1) on Tuesday. Tech opened Big 12 play with back-to-back road series at Baylor and at TCU. Tech took 2-of-3 from the Horned Frogs last weekend for its first conference series win of the season. Tech is 9-8 in Big 12 home-opening series (since 1997) and has won its first home Big 12 game in 10-of-17 series. This season marks the seventh time the Longhorns have been Tech’s first league opponent at home. The Red Raiders are 2-4 in those series while earning a series win over Texas in Big 12 home openers in 2002 and 1998. Since defeating No. 1 Texas in the 2010 Big 12 Championships, the Red Raiders and Longhorns are 5-5 during the last 10 meetings. Texas has won five straight and 15 of its last 18 despite dropping 2-of-3 in its only Big 12 series at home against Kansas (Mar. 14-16).
• Texas Tech and Texas meet for the 143rd time on Friday in the series opener at Rip Griffin Park.
• Texas leads the all-time series, 103-39 while also leading 47-20 in games played in Lubbock.
• Tech and Texas have split last 10 matchups (5-5) while Tech and UT are also tied, 10-10, in Lubbock during Big 12 era.
• Since the start of the Big 12 Conference (1997), Texas Tech has seven series wins over Texas, including three in Lubbock.
• Texas Tech took 2-of-3 over the Longhorns last season in Austin - the first Big 12 series of the Tim Tadlock era.
• Tech is only NCAA D-I team to have 21 wins, 6 vs. top-25 opponents and play back-to-back road series to start league play.
• Texas Tech has 13 wins in the month of March - most by the Red Raiders since Big 12 championship season in 1997 (18).
• Texas Tech has won six of its last eight games and 13 of its last 17 games overall.
• Tech received a national ranking for the sixth consecutive week - No. 24 (USA TODAY), No. 27 (NCBWA).
• Tech is off to its best start to the season (through 28 games) since 1999 (22-6).
• The Red Raiders have won 21 games (through 28 games) seven times in school history (‘14, ‘99, ‘97, ‘96, ‘95, ‘93, ‘91).
• Tech ranks 24th in the nation in total home attendance (33,816), ranks 28th in average attendance (2,254).
• Only one NCAA Division I team has more wins than Texas Tech (UL-Lafayette - 22).
• Texas Tech’s series win at No. 24 TCU marked its first on the road over a ranked opponent since 2011 (at No. 14 Baylor).
• Texas Tech improved to 6-2 against ranked opponents this season.
• Tech’s six wins vs. top-25 marks its most through 28 games of the season in the Big 12 era (since 1997).