Carbon Monoxide Detectors Essential to Safe Home

As we move further into the fall season the Lubbock Fire Department is urging folks to install, or replace their carbon monoxide alarms to detect the gas known as the silent killer.

As we move further into the fall season the Lubbock Fire Department is urging folks to install, or replace their carbon monoxide alarms to detect the gas known as the silent killer.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that could be in your home.

It's produced by fireplaces, furnaces, even appliances, and Lubbock Fire Department Batallion Chief Ron Keinast says can kill you in a very short time.

"It can be from the water heater, it can be from a malfunctioning gas stove, anything that's producing a flame can produce that carbon-monoxide," said Lubbock Fire Department Batallion Chief Ron Keinast. "And if you have a faulty appliance then that carbon-monoixde is not being properly vented outside of the house starts to fill the house."

Once the gas fills the house, Keinast said sickness will likely follow.

"Symptoms can easily be confused with normal cold, flu-like symptoms, diziness, naseua, tiredness, something to take very seriously and take precautions very seriously," he said."

Your normal senses can't identify the posionous gas, however, so Keinast says a carbon monoxide detector, one on each floor, is necessary.

"There seems to be a lax in the carbon monoxide detectors compared to the smoke detectors and they really go hand-in-hand," said Keinast. "I recommend everyone to have both of those. Those detectors, they do save lives."

To safeproof your home LFD will come out for free and do a carbon monoxide check for you, just call 775-2635 to set up an appointment.

 

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus