LUBBOCK, TX -- Ryan Loveland and Jeremy Cone woke to the sound of their smoke alarm around 5:30 AM Saturday.
"If it hadn't been for the smoke alarm I'm sure we would have been asleep," said Loveland and Cone.
It was a startling wake up for the two.
"We opened the door and smoke started coming in the room from the hallway, and and I think we were just like is that the fire alarm really?" they said.
Across the house, a fire had started in Cone’s grandmother’s room. She had been smoking a cigarette in bed, with an oxygen tube on. They say their fire alarm is the reason they’re here today.
"Most definitely. It definitely saved his grandmothers life because we got in there. We were in the room and his room is all the way across the house from his room and when we just went and looked and her bed was on fire it was the hugest flame," they said.
Cone says his grandmother is in satisfactory condition thanks to Loveland’s quick thinking and the fire department’s rapid response.
"I was like running between that bathroom over there and the bed just trying to get it wet with water I was just putting it over the fire like hitting it down," said Loveland. "Its crazy you dont ever know. This is the blanket I was using that one I was trying to get it all over the fire."
Loveland and Cone count themselves as the newest members of the Lubbock Fire Department’s campaign for every home to have working smoke detectors.
Double check them, triple check them because they save lives like you never think something like this is going to happen to you and so you always want to be prepared," said Cone.
"Yeah you dont think its going to happen to you ever, but when it does its awesome whenever you have that thing to help you out," said Loveland.
The fire department says the time change is a good time to change your smoke detector batteries. If you are physically unable to change them yourself, they are happy to help you out. Give them a call at 775-2635 to make an appointment.