LUBBOCK, Texas – No. 29 Texas Tech kept the moment going, as the Red Raiders toppled Denver at the McLeod Tennis Center, 6-1, to run its win streak to six matches.
The win gave the Red Raiders six straight wins for the sixth time in the last seven years and kept Texas Tech’s record perfect in the month of March (6-0). If Tech wins on Sunday at 1 p.m. at the McLeod Tennis Center against New Mexico State, it will mark just the second time in program history that the Red Raiders have been perfect in March. Texas Tech was 8-0 in 2010.
“That was a much tougher match that the score indicates,” said Red Raider head coach Tim Siegel. “Doubles was very close and we had some tight first sets. We need to be ready for New Mexico State tomorrow.”
The match began with a true battle during the doubles competition. Texas Tech’s Felipe Soares and Hugo Dojas scratched out an 8-5 upset of the No. 42 tandem of Henry Craig and Alex Gasson at No. 1. But then things got tricky.
Both matches at No. 2 and No. 3 went to the tiebreaker when they were knotted at 7-7. The Red Raiders’ Maxime Hinnisdaels and Francisco Zambon inched out an 8-7 (7-5) win over Eric Marbach and Yannik James to secure the point at No. 3.
The match at No. 2 between Carlos DiLaura and Johann Willems of Texas Tech and Diogo Rocha and Fabio Biasion was abandoned with the score tied 7-7 (3-3).
No. 95 Dojas quickly made the score 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-4 victory at No. 2 over Rocha. Zambon was right behind with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Gasson. And for the third straight match, Jolan Cailleau clinched the Tech victory with a 7-5, 6-1 victory at No. 6 over Aidan Talcott.
Denver’s Biasion retired due to injury, giving Willems the victory at No. 5, just before Soares upset Denver’s No. 91 Craig at No. 1, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1.
With one match remaining, the Pioneers Alex Clickenbeard defeated Hinnisdaels in a third set pro set to close out a 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7) victory at No. 4.
#29 Texas Tech 6, Denver 1
Lubbock, Texas (McLeod Tennis Center)
1. Felipe Soares (TT) def. #91 Henry Craig (DU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
2. #95 Hugo Dojas (TT) def. Diogo Rocha (DU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Francisco Zambon (TT) def. Alex Gasson (DU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alex Clinkenbeard (DU) def. Maxime Hinnisdaels (TT) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Johann Willems (TT) def. Fabio Biasion (DU) 7-5, 3-4, retired
6. Jolan Cailleau (TT) def. Aidan Talcott (DU) 7-5, 6-1
1. Felipe Soares / Hugo Dojas (TT) def. #42 Henry Craig / Alex Gasson (DU) 8-5
2. Carlos DiLaura / Johann Willems (TT) vs. Diogo Rocha / Fabio Biasion (DU) 7-7 (3-3), unfinished
3. Maxime Hinnisdaels / Francisco Zambon (TT) def. Eric Marbach / Yannik James (DU) 8-7 (7-5)
Records: Denver 6-9; #29 Texas Tech 11-5.
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,3,6,5,1,4)