AMES, Iowa – Travel fatigue was not a factor, as No. 32 Texas Tech rolled past Iowa State, 6-1, at the Forker Courts on Sunday in Big 12 Conference women’s tennis.
Texas Tech traveled over 3,600 miles to take on West Virginia and Iowa State. The Lady Raiders won both matches, in fact, Texas Tech was 17-1 individually over the weekend.
"I was really pleased with the doubles play the whole weekend," said Lady Raider head coach Todd Petty. "The team did a great job of handling the travel and the conditions. We look foward to finishing the season at home."
Texas Tech evened its Big 12 record to 3-3 on the season, while improving to 13-7 overall. It marks the first time since 1990, that Texas Tech has strung together four consecutive years of 13 or more wins in a season. The Lady Raiders are 70-28 (71.4 percent) over the last four years, while Texas Tech was 61-36 (62.9 percent) from 1987-90.
The No. 38 tandem of Kenna Kilgo and Samantha Adams scorched their way to an 8-3 win over Ksnia Pronina and Samantha Budai to start doubles. Lynn Kiro and Beatriz Machado Santos were close behind, as they ousted Lydia Green and Caroline Hauge Anderson, 8-1, at No. 3. Nikki Sanders and Rashmi Teltumbde closed out doubles with an 8-1 win over Meghan Cassens and Ana Gasparovic at No. 2.
Adams quickly set Emma Waites packing with a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 5 for a 2-0 Texas Tech lead. Iowa State answered with its only point of the day, as Budai topped Teltumbde, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 2.
No. 118 Lynn Kiro and Nikki Sanders picked up straight-set wins at No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, giving the Lady Raiders a clinching 4-1 lead. Kiro improved to 24-6 on the season and 6-0 in Big 12 play, while Sanders is now 19-9 overall and 2-4 in league action.
At No. 1, Kilgo gave Texas Tech a commanding 6-1 lead when she defeated Pronina, 6-3, 6-2. Samantha Czarniak Rego closed out the scoring with a straight-set 6-4 6-4 win over Talisa Merchiers, at No. 6.
Texas Tech will return to action on Saturday at 11 a.m. at the McLeod Tennis Center, when the Lady Raiders host No. 57 TCU.
#32 Texas Tech 6, Iowa State 1
Ames Iowa (Forker Courts)
1. Kenna Kilgo (TT) def. Ksnia Pronina (ISU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Samantha Budai (ISU) def. Rashmi Teltumbde (TT) 6-4, 6-3
3. #118 Lynn Kiro (TT) def. Meghan Cassens (ISU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Nikki Sanders (TT) def. Ana Gasparovic (ISU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Samantha Adams (TT) def. Emma Waites (ISU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Samantha Czarniak Rego (TT) def. Talisa Merchiers (ISU) 6-4, 6-4
1. #38 Samantha Adams/Kenna Kilgo (TT) def. Ksnia Pronina/Samantha Budai (ISU) 8-3
2. Nikki Sanders/Rashmi Teltumbde (TT) def. Meghan Cassens/Ana Gasparovic (ISU) 8-1
3. Lynn Kiro/Beatriz Machado Santos (TT) def. Lydia Green/Caroline Hauge Anderson (ISU) 8-1
Records: Iowa State 8-11, 0-6; #32 Texas Tech 13-7, 3-3.
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,2,3,4,1,6)