By: Trenten Hilburn - Associate Director of Communications
TEXAS TECH LOOKS FOR SERIES SWEEP OF OSU
Texas Tech (13-13, 5-8) travels to Oklahoma State (16-10, 4-9) in Stillwater, Okla., on Saturday at 12:47 p.m. The Red Raiders have won three of their last five Big 12 games for the first time since 2011. With a win over OSU, Texas Tech would at least stay in a tie for seventh place in the league and move to two games under .500 at 6-8 in Big 12 play. It would be the first time since 2008, that the Red Raiders have won six conference games in a season. The Red Raiders are also looking to win in Stillwater for the first time since 2003. Texas Tech is in search of its first series sweep over Oklahoma State. The Red Raiders have won consecutive games over the Cowboys three times in school history, but never twice in the same season. Oklahoma State enters the game on a seven-game losing streak, including three straight at home to Baylor, Iowa State and Oklahoma. But winning against the OSU will not be easy, as the Cowboys have won by an average of 13.7 points during the 10-game winning streak over Texas Tech at Gallagher-Iba Arena. The Red Raiders are also looking to win three road games in a season for the first time since 2007, when Texas Tech went 6-6 in true road games. Tech is 10-63 in true road games since 2007.
• Texas Tech has won five Big 12 games for the first time since 2011.
• With its win over Oklahoma, Red Raiders have now defeated three USA Today Top 25 teams this season. The last time Texas Tech defeated three USA Today Top 25 teams in the season was during the 2007-08 season, when the Red Raiders topped No. 10 Texas A&M, 68-63, No. 22 Kansas State, 84-75, and No. 5 Texas, 83-80.
• Texas Tech is also in search of its sixth conference win of the season, which would be the most league wins since 2008.
• Texas Tech is looking to win 14 games in a season for the first time since 2010.
• The Red Raiders are .500 (13-13) through 26 games for the first time since starting the 2009-10 season 16-10.
• Texas Tech's RPI of 108 is the highest for the Red Raiders since finishing the 2009-10 season with an RPI of 66.
• Texas Tech is first in the Big 12 and is 28th nationally in free throw percentage (74.4 percent).
• Senior Jaye Crockett is 25th all-time in career scoring with 1,166 points. He needs eight points to move into 24th place.
Oklahoma State leads the all-time series, 40-14, while the Cowboys lead the series in Stillwater, 21-3. OSU has won six straight and 10 of the last 12 in the series. Texas Tech snapped a six-game losing streak to Oklahoma State on Feb. 8. The previous last time Texas Tech defeated a ranked OSU squad was Feb. 24, 2003 in Stillwater, 62-57. Texas Tech will be looking for back-to-back wins over the Cowboys in the same season for the first time ever. The Red Raiders will look to wi consecutive games over the Cowboys for just the fourth time in program history. The last time was on Feb. 6, 2010, and Jan. 29, 2011. Texas Tech will be looking for its first win in Stillwater since upsetting then-No. 16 Oklahoma State, 62-57, on Feb. 24, 2003.
Oklahoma State is currently ridding a seven-game losing streak, including a 65-61 loss to Texas Tech on Feb. 8. The Cowboys have four players averaging in double figures - Marcus Smart (17.5), Markel Brown (17.4), Le'Bryan Nash (14.5) and Phil Forte (12.6). OSU is out-scoring opponents in the first half, 40-32, this season. But in Big 12 play, OSU has been outscored in the first half, 37-35. During its current losing streak, the Cowboys have lost by an average of 8.7 points per game. In all, five of 10 of Oklahoma State's losses have been by five points or less.
With the loss to No. 8 Kansas, Texas Tech is now 1-4 in games decided by five points or less ... The Red Raiders have won three games in the month of February for the first time since 2010. Texas Tech has not won four conference games in the month of February since going 4-4 in 2008 ... Texas Tech is 12-2 when leading at the half. The Red Raiders only win this season when trailing at the half came at TCU on Jan. 6 ... Texas Tech is 12-1 when leading with 5:00 to play in the game ... The Red Raiders are 7-3 when holding their opponent under 70 points this season ... Texas Tech is averaging 1.08 points per possession. Last season, the Red Raiders averaged 0.94 points per possession. Tech ranks 54th nationally in points per possession. Oklahoma State ranks 20th at 1.11 points per possession. The Red Raiders are averaging 19.8 seconds per possession, while Oklahoma State is averaging 15.9 seconds per possession ... The Red Raiders are 5-8 in games decided by 10 points or less this season. Texas Tech has gone 17-23 in games decided by 10 points or less over the previous three seasons. This season, Tech is 4-7 in league games decided by 10 points or less. During the previous three seasons, the Red Raiders were 7-13 during Big 12 play ... Texas Tech had its second largest crowd of the season at 12,667 against Kansas. It is the 35th largest crowd in United Spirit Arena history. Texas Tech also set a new student record with 4,338 students in attendance.