LUBBOCK, Texas – It came down to the end, but No. 27 Texas Tech came up on the short against No. 56 TCU, 4-3, in Big 12 Conference men’s tennis at the McLeod Tennis Center in front of 846 fans.
The 846 fans is the fourth largest crowd this season to watch a men’s collegiate tennis match in the nation.
“This was a tough loss,” said Red Raider head coach Tim Siegel. “The doubles point was critical. I knew TCU was much better than their ranking. They deserved it today. We need to bounce back quickly against Texas on Saturday night.”
Maxime Hinnisdaels and Johann Willems got the day started for Texas Tech with an 8-2 win over TCU’s Arnau Dachs and Trey Daniel at No. 2. But TCU answered with an 8-6 win at No. 1 when the No. 13 duo of Nick Chappell and Will Stein topped Hugo Dojas and Felipe Soares.
That left the doubles point to be decided at No. 3. It went back and forth and with the match tied 7-7, it went to a tiebreaker, as TCU’s Hudson Blake Facundo Lugones edged Francisco Zambon and Jolan Cailleau, 8-7 (7-5).
TCU jumped out to a 2-0 lead when Rodolfo Bustamante cruised past Johann Willems, 6-2, 6-0. Dachs extended the lead with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Zambon at No. 3.
Texas Tech answered when No. 108 Soares upset No. 49 Chappell, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 1. Cailleau was close behind with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 6, give TCU just a 3-2 lead with two matches to play.
But TCU secured the win when Daniel picked up a straight set 6-3, 6-4 win over Hinnisdaels at No. 4.
No. 100 Hugo Dojas added a slight upset with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over No. 98 Lugones at No. 2 to close out the match.
Texas Tech returns to action on Saturday at the McLeod Tennis Center, when the Red Raiders host Texas at 6 p.m. at the McLeod Tennis Center. If rain is a factor, the match will be moved indoors to The Falls Athletic Club.
#56 TCU 4, #27 Texas Tech 3
Lubbock, Texas (McLeod Tennis Center)
1. #108 Felipe Soares (TT) def. #49 Nick Chappell (TCU) 6-4, 6-3
2. #100 Hugo Dojas (TT) def. #98 Facundo Lugones (TCU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Arnau Dachs (TCU) def. Francisco Zambon (TT) 6-3, 6-3
4. Trey Daniel (TCU) def. Maxime Hinnisdaels (TT) 6-3, 6-4
5. Rodolfo Bustamante (TCU) def. Johann Willems (TT) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jolan Cailleau (TT) def. Andres Alfonzo (TCU) 6-2, 6-4
1. #13 Nick Chappell/Will Stein (TCU) def. Hugo Dojas/Felipe Soares (TT) 8-6
2. Maxime Hinnisdaels/Johann Willems (TT) def. Arnau Dachs/Trey Daniel (TCU) 8-2
3. Hudson Blake/Facundo Lugones (TCU) def. Francisco Zambon/Jolan Cailleau (TT) 8-7 (7-5)
Records: #56 TCU 12-11, 1-4 Big 12; #27 Texas Tech 13-8, 1-3 Big 12.
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,3,1,6,4,2)