By: Scott Lacefield - Texas Tech Communications
Texas Tech opens its 65th season of baseball this weekend hosting No. 3 Indiana for a four-game series at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders are led by second-year head coach Tim Tadlock who guided Tech to a 26-30 record in 2013 while tallying the second most wins in school history by a TTU first-year head coach. Tech returns eight positions players from last year that started at least 20 games and also welcome back eight pitchers that made starts in 2013. This season marks the sixth consecutive year that Tech is opening its season at home. The Red Raiders have won five straight Opening Day contests. Indiana is coming off its best season in school history after its first-ever appearance at the College World Series (first by a Big Ten program in 29 years) with a 49-16 overall record in 2013. The Hoosiers return 22 letterwinners, including eight position starters and 10 pitchers. Indiana has four players who have received preseason All-America honors.
• Texas Tech is 41-23 all-time on Opening Day, including a 14-1 record since 1999.
• Tech has won five consecutive Opening Day games while capturing 14 straight at home (dates back to 1999).
• The Red Raiders are 28-5 all-time on Opening Day at home.
• Since 1986, Texas Tech is 20-1 on Opening Day in Lubbock... Tech is also 28-1 in home openers since 1985.
• Texas Tech is playing its first top-10 ranked opponent on Opening Day since 1989 (at No. 10 Arizona State).
• The Red Raiders are 8-11 against top-10 ranked teams at home since 2005.
• Texas Tech is 4-7 at home against top-five ranked opponents since 2004. Indiana marks the fifth opponent in that span.
• Tech and Indiana has never met before this season. Indiana marks Tech’s seventh all-time opponent from the Big Ten.
• Texas Tech alum Tim Tadlock is 1-0 as a head coach on Opening Day (2013) and 2-0 as a starting shortstop (1990-91).
• RHP Dominic Moreno is the first Red Raider since Chad Bettis (2009-10) to start on Opening Day in back-to-back years.
• Moreno struck out 11 batters on 2013 Opening Day (vs. Northern Illinois) - the most by a Red Raider in over 27 years.
• Texas Tech’s last six Opening Day starters (2006-2012) are all in professional baseball while four are in the big leagues.
• With a start Friday, Tim Proudfoot will be the first Red Raider in over 27 years to start at SS in three straight Opening Days.
• 2B Bryant Burleson begins the season with a 14-game hit streak. Longest by a Red Raider to end a season since 2001.
• LHP Jonny Drozd enters the season with 17.2 consecutive scoreless innings pitched dating back to last season.
• Tim Tadlock led Texas Tech to a 14-3 record during his first season in non-conference home games.
• Texas Tech’s has a perfect 0.00 ERA during the last three Opening Day games (2011-13) allowing 11 hits and 1 run (0 ER).