Home-made Broccoli Mac N’ Cheese – serves 8
NO BUTTER NEEDED
· 12 oz uncooked Whole Wheat Pasta
· 3 cups chopped fresh Broccoli Florets
· 1 cup reduced-fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
· 1/3 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
· 3 tablespoons reduced-fat grated Parmesan Cheese
· 2 ½ cup Skim Milk
· 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
· 1/2 tablespoon Onion Powder
· Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions, adding broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese and set aside.
- In a saucepan, whisk together milk and flour until blended; add onion powder. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumbs. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.