LUBBOCK, Texas – Fresh off a thrilling five-set victory over Texas State a week ago, Texas Tech returns to the court Wednesday evening to open Big 12 Conference play against the Oklahoma Sooners. First serve is slated for 7 p.m. at McCasland Field House in Norman, Okla., with television coverage provided on FOX College Sports Central as well as FOX Sports Southwest Plus. Chad McKee will have the call while Laura Alford will provide the color commentary for the broadcast.
• Wednesday night’s Big 12 opener at Oklahoma will mark the 63rd all-time meeting between the two schools. The series is Texas Tech’s third-longest among active Big 12 foes as the Red Raiders have only faced Texas (85 career matches) and Baylor (73 matches) more times in school history.
• The Red Raiders will be looking to snap a 15-match losing streak to the Sooners that dates back to Sept. 21, 2005, when Texas Tech claimed a 3-0 sweep in Lubbock. Tech has not defeated Oklahoma on its home floor since claiming another 3-0 victory on Nov. 9, 2002.
• Despite the 15-match losing streak to Oklahoma, Texas Tech still leads the overall series with Sooners with a 34-28 all-time advantage. Oklahoma is 15-13 against the Red Raiders when playing in Norman.
• Oklahoma heads into this week receiving votes in the latest American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) top 25 poll that is released each Monday afternoon. This will be the first time this season the Red Raiders have faced a team either ranked or picking up votes in the poll.
• Texas Tech will be opening Big 12 play on the road for the first time ever under third-year head coach Don Flora and the first time since traveling to No. 8 Nebraska in 2009. The Red Raiders, who are 3-7 all-time when opening conference play on the road, have never opened conference play against the Sooners in Norman.
• The Red Raiders are 1-1 all-time when opening conference play against Oklahoma at home as Texas Tech claimed a 3-1 victory on Sept. 15, 2004, before falling in five sets on Sept. 12, 2008.
• Texas Tech has not gone on the road and won its conference opener since defeating Iowa State in straight sets on Sept. 21, 2002, in Ames.
• The Red Raiders will be looking to snap a five-match losing streak in Big 12 openers Wednesday as Texas Tech’s last conference-opening victory came on Sept. 12, 2007, against Colorado. Tech is just 5-12 all-time when opening Big 12 play.
TEXAS TECH IN BIG 12 OPENERS
The Red Raiders head into Wednesday night’s contest looking to snap a five-match losing streak in Big 12 openers as Texas Tech is 5-12 all-time when beginning conference play. Tech last won its conference opener in 2007 with a close 3-2 victory over Colorado. This will be the first time the Red Raiders have gone on the road to start league action since 2009 when Tech traveled to No. 8 Nebraska. The Red Raiders are 3-7 all-time when opening Big 12 play on the road.
TEXAS TECH IN BIG 12 CONFERENCE OPENERS
Year Opponent Result
1996 Missouri W, 3-0
1997 at Missouri W, 3-0
1998 No. 17 Texas A&M L, 0-3
1999 No. 5 Nebraska L, 1-3
2000 at Baylor L, 1-3
2001 at Missouri L, 1-3
2002 at Iowa State W, 3-0
2003 at Colorado L, 1-3
2004 Oklahoma W, 3-1
2005 Baylor L, 1-3
2006 at No. 5 Texas L, 0-3
2007 Colorado W, 3-2
2008 Oklahoma L, 2-3
2009 at No. 8 Nebraska L, 0-3
2010 Missouri L, 0-3
2011 No. 16 Iowa State L, 0-3
2012 Kansas L, 0-3
Overall: 5-12; At home: 3-7; Away: 2-5
Copyright 2013 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.