LUBBOCK, Texas – Senior left-handed pitcher Jonny Drozd led the way for the Red Team in game two of the annual Texas Tech Red & Black Series as the Red Team came away with a 15-6 victory on Saturday at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park to even the series at 1-1.
Drozd threw five innings allowing only one run on six hits with a walk while pitching out of jams in the second and fourth inning and getting a ground-ball double play to end the third inning. His final frame he retired the side in order in the fifth.
The Red Team fell behind 1-0 after the top of the first but answered with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first inning with a single from Zach Davis and an RBI double from freshman third baseman Matt Broadbent.
The Red squad also scored single runs in the second, fourth and fifth innings before putting the game away with seven runs on four hits and four walks/hit-by-pitch in the sixth inning. The big hit in the sixth inning came from shortstop Tim Proudfoot who drove in a pair of runs with a double to left field.
Broadbent finished with his second straight multi-hit game going 2-for-5 with two RBI and Proudfoot went 3-for-6 with three RBI. Second baseman Bryan Burleson went 2-for-3 with a double, RBI, two walks and a run scored.
Red Team catcher Tyler Floyd also added a big game at the plate going 3-for-3 with a double, three RBI, two runs scored, a walk and a sacrifice fly. Right fielder Zach Davis went 2-for-6 with two runs, an RBI and a stolen base, center fielder Devon Conley went 2-for-4 and led all players with four runs and tallied a double and an RBI.
Sophomore Johnathon Tripp made the most of his two at-bats as a pinch hitter and designated hitter late in the game going 2-for-2 with a pair of singles and two RBI after entering the game in the seventh inning.
Sophomore right-handed pitcher Justin Bethard (0-1) took the loss for the Black Team going four innings allowing four runs (3 ER) on six hits with two strikeouts and two walks.
The Black Team scored its first run of the game in the first inning on Brett Bell reaching base with a single and later scoring on senior shortstop Jake Barrios’ double to left field.
Junior catcher Hunter Redman drove in Barrios – who singled – with an RBI single in the ninth inning for its sixth run of the game.
Barrios went 2-for-3 and led the Black Team scoring two runs with a pair of walks and a stolen base and sophomore first baseman Eric Gutierrez finished 2-for-4 with a hit-by-pitch.
Freshman second baseman Ryan Long led all players on the Black Team going 3-for-4 with a run scored, walk and double.
The Red & Black Series will continue on Sunday, Oct. 20 with a 2 p.m. first pitch for game three. All games of the series will be played at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park and admission is free.
Fans who aren’t able to make it to the ballpark for the Red & Black Series can follow all of the action live on Twitter (@TechGameday) and while using the hashtag: #RedBlackSeries.
- First Pitch: 6:35 p.m.
- Time of Game: 2 hours, 31 minutes.
- Temperature: 62 degrees.
- The Red Team now has 28 hits in two games.
- Seven players from the Red Team finished with a multi-hit game.
- Red Team 2B Bryant Burleson is now 4-for-7 with two runs, two walks and RBI in two games.
- Red Team 3B Matt Broadbent is now 5-for-9 with two runs and two doubles in two games.
- Red Team pinch hitter Johnathon Tripp singled through the left side as a pinch hitter in the seventh inning and then singled to drive in a run the following inning to finish 2-for-2.
- The six players who batted 1-through-5 for the Red Team went a combined 12-for-25.
- Hunter Redman and Anthony Lyons are the only two players on the Black Team that have hit safely in both games of the series… Redman is 3-for-8 while Lyons is 2-for7.
- Making a relief appearance on the mound for the Red Team was senior outfielder Todd Ritchie who pitched a scoreless eighth inning allowing one hit and one walk.
Red & Black Series Dates/Times/Results:
Game 1: Black Team defeats Red Team, 4-3 (Black Team Leads Series, 1-0)
Game 2: Red Team defeats Black Team, 15-6 (Series is Tied, 1-1)
Game 3: Sunday, Oct. 20 – 2 p.m.
Game 4: Saturday, Oct. 26 – Noon
Game 5: Sunday, Oct. 27 – 2 p.m.
Copyright 2013 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.