Surviving Victim of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Motel Files Lawsuit

The surviving victim of last week’s carbon monoxide poisoning at a Lubbock motel filed suit Friday.

The surviving victim of last week’s carbon monoxide poisoning at a Lubbock motel filed suit Friday.

Latiesha Renee Ruth spent 8 days in the hospital, after getting a room at the Budget Motel, located at 805 E. 34th Street.  Officials say they found lethal levels of carbon monoxide being emitted from a faulty heating unit inside the room.

In an exclusive interview with KAMC’s Julie Musgrave, Ruth said Friday that she had checked into the motel, but left briefly for the store.  She returned, and the next thing she remembers is waking up in the hospital, with tubes down her throat.

When asked what she credited for saving her life, Ruth replied, “The grace of God. There’s nothing but God. He’s got other plans for me.”

Ruth says she hopes the lawsuit will help recover medical expenses, and also help make changes to how hotels and motels monitor safety for guests.  Currently, there is no city code requiring carbon monoxide detectors.  Officials say most area hotels and motels do not have them.

Another man in the room, Harold Rutherford, was found dead on scene.  A wrongful death lawsuit has also been filed on his behalf, seeking monetary relief in excess of $1,000,000.00.

Ruth still has a lot of trouble breathing, and remains very weak.  She will continue long-term therapy and recovery at home.

“I just thank God, and I just thank all the people that had me in prayer, and me in their thoughts,” Ruth said.  “Because prayer really works. It works, it really did.  And I just want to say that I’m glad to be here.”

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Most Recent Local News