Three House Fires Prompt the LFD to Talk About Fire Safety

Three house fires in three days leave 12 people without homes and that concerns the Lubbock Fire Department.

By: Meredith Hillgartner

 

With cold weather and the holiday season approaching the Lubbock Fire Department wants to make sure you are staying safe; especially after three house fires in the last three days left twelve Lubbock residents without a home.

“The thing we always try and do is think,” Chief Rob Keinast said. “Think of the potential risks on what you are doing.”

Battalion Chief Keinast said most of the fires could have been avoided.

On Saturday morning a house fire was caused by a chiminea—something he said is bad to leave unattended on a windy Lubbock day.

“You need to have some common sense,” Keinast said. “If that wind is blowing, like it was this weekend, that’s not the time you want to do any outdoor cooking, chiminea’s, any kind of outdoor

burning going on.”

A space heater was the cause of a Monday afternoon fire.

“They can be very, very dangerous,” Keinast said. “Especially if you are going to sleep with those space heaters running and they are close to the bed. If you have a blanket that falls on them it can be a deadly accident.”

Sunday afternoon an accidental fire was started inside a house on Avenue B.

Luckily Keinast said it happened during the day because the house did not have any working smoke detectors.

“Very lucky that this recent fire happened during the day time when a majority of the residents were awake,” Keinast said. “That same situation happening in the middle of the night when

everyone is asleep with no working smoke detectors in the home, it can be a deadly situation.”

Keinast said holiday decorations are also a big threat this time of year.

He said you need to pay extra attention to candles and Christmas lights on trees and outside.

“A little practice can go a long way when it comes to safety around the home,” Keinast said. “We want everyone to have a very safe and happy holiday season.”

 

Tips for Fire Safety:

Cooking. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires. Most people feel they would never be careless enough to put a dish towel on a stove where food is cooking, but it happens!

Candle fires. Candles should be placed in large candle

holders on a sturdy surface that is away from

anything flammable & high traffic areas.

Cords. Lights and decorations should always be inspected for cracks before plugging them in.

Fire places.

Fireplaces should be cleaned and

inspected once year

Small electric heaters. Space heaters need at least three feet of space clear of combustibles.

Frying turkeys. When frying a turkey

make sure to use the fryers outdoors and away from combustible materials.

Real Christmas trees. Water the tree daily and turn off the tree lights at night.

If you have an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled, certified, or identified by the manufacturer as fire retardant.

           

Safety Tips for Deep Frying a Turkey:

http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/causes/cooking/turkey-fryers?order_src=C246
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Most Recent Local News