LUBBOCK, TX – Lubbock Firefighters responded Sunday afternoon to a house fire in the 5600 block of Avenue A. One adult and five children were left homeless, according to the Fire Department.
A teenager suffered minor burns to his hand and declined a trip to the hospital with EMS. Firefighters say 25 percent of the home was fire damaged but 100 percent was smoke damaged.
The South Plains Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping those where were left homeless by the Sunday fire. The Red Cross also said one family pet died in the fire.
Firefighters also responded early Saturday morning to a fire in the 2600 block of 26th Street. A fire in a chimenea spread to the back of the home. A chimenea is a free-standing fireplace. Four people were displaced, and a neighboring home also suffered damage from the fire.
Those who wish to help the local chapter of the American Red Cross can do at redcross.org