Lubbock survivor of the Las Vegas shooting shares his story one year later

KAMC News

A Lubbock couple who survived the Las Vegas shooting are sharing their story one year after the mass shooting that killed 58 people. 

For most people, October 1st came and went. But for the Wilson’s, Monday meant something more. 

“We’re blessed by God to be here, we are very thankful we made it through,” Wilson said. 

Clay Wilson and his wife attended the Route 91 Music Festival as an anniversary and birthday trip last year. He said Jason Aldean was one of his wife’s favorite artist. They were in the middle of the crowd when shots started being fired towards them. 

“When the shots started, everyone started running, the power went off,” he remembered. 

Wilson and his wife hid under chairs as rounds of gunfire were flying past them. That’s when his wife was able to call their kids. 

“When she was under the seats, she called the kids to tell them bye because she really didn’t think we’d make it out,” he said. 

Eventually, they were able to hide in one of the vendors tents and then under a stairwell away from the gunfire, making it back to Lubbock unharmed. 

After returning home, Wilson decided to get a tattoo to always remember what he and his wife went through. 

“It’s a reminder everyday of what’s important, that’s what I look at that for,” he said. 

Wilson said he has a new perspective on life where he cherishes family and friends more than ever. 

“I’m proud we made it through, thankful to God we made it through. It’s just one day at a time.”

Wilson said he doesn’t go one day without thinking about what happened that day or the victims and families who were forever affected. Both the Wilsons have been back to Las Vegas since the shooting. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local News

News Highlights

More News Highlights

Don't Miss

Event Calendar