LUBBOCK, Texas — Five people were transported to the hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide at a Central Lubbock apartment complex Sunday morning.

According to Lubbock Fire Rescue, firefighters were dispatched to the Hoff Gardens Apartments in 1900 block of 34th Street after a “smell of gas” was reported in one apartment.

When LFR crews arrived on scene, they evacuated the building.

Firefighters were able to locate the cause of the issue and control it.

LFR said its units cleared the scene just before noon.

On Monday, LFR said the cause of the carbon monoxide exposure was due to “faulty gas venting.”