Daycare evacuated for gas leak Monday morning

Local News
gasLeak2700Bates720_1543862845638.jpg

A daycare was evacuated Monday morning because of a gas leak, Lubbock Fire Rescue said.  LFR said a work crew hit a gas line in the street under the intersection of Boston Avenue and Bates Street. 

LFR said 21 kids plus staff members of a daycare were evacuated.  Parents had been picking up their kids from a safe distance, LFR said. 

LFR also said the gas line was “multidirectional” meaning it would have to be shut off at multiple points to stop the leak.  Atmos Energy was working early Monday afternoon to get that done. 

LFR said the wind direction and wind speed helped to minimize the risk. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local News

News Highlights

More News Highlights

Don't Miss

Event Calendar