LUBBOCK, Texas – Lubbock Fire Rescue crews were dispatched to a fire at an apartment complex located near Resthaven Cemetery late Tuesday morning.
The fire was reported just before 12:00 p.m. in the 1600 block of Elkhart Avenue at the Elkhart Apartments.
Fire crews arrived on scene to find flames and heavy smoke coming from one of the apartments.
Late Tuesday afternoon, LFR provided this update:
At approximately 11:54 this morning LFR crews responded to 1706 Elkhart Ave. on a reported structure fire. The fire was discovered by a passerby. Crews arrived to find a working structure fire. Firefighters extinguished the fire that had extended into the attic space from the apartment of origin. The involved structure is a residential quadraplex. No injuries were reported. Red Cross assisted with 5 displaced adults and 3 displaced juveniles. The cause of the fire is classified as accidental, due to resistance heating of damaged extension cord.