Note: our live coverage is finished for now. Check back for further live reports in the coming days.
ODESSA, Texas (Big 2/Fox 24) – Starting at 11:00 a.m., we will bring you the latest information on the shootings that killed seven victims and injured more than 20 in Odessa.
Our crews remain scattered throughout the city to bring you updates as they become available.
Here is what we know so far:
- Police Chief Michael Gerke said a DPS Trooper made a traffic stop of a car in Odessa at 3:17 pm. He said the driver shot the Trooper. DPS would later say the Trooper is in serious condition.
- Gerke, during a press conference at about 6:00 p.m., said the suspect drove off. He was described as a white male in his 30’s.
- DPS said the original traffic stop was for failing to signal a left turn while driving.
- Gerke said the suspect then hijacked a mail truck. For a time, police were not sure if it was one suspect or two. Later updates indicated one suspect.
- KMID reported that a US Postal carrier was shot in the hijacking of the mail truck.
- Gerke said the suspect began firing at random in the area of Odessa and Midland.
- Gerke said five people died, and 21 people were injured. Three officers were among the injured. (The death toll was later increased to 7 victims plus the gunman.)
- The suspect was located at the Cinergy movie theater. Gerke said officers shot and killed the suspect at that location.
- University Medical Center in Lubbock said one victim, a 17-month-old child, was airlifted to Lubbock for treatment.
- At about 6:30, Medical Center Hospital said 14 victims were on site. Later, that number was corrected to 13.
- Medical Center Hospital was on lock-down as a precaution. Russell Tiffin, CEO of Medical Center Hospital, said the blood supply was good. Grief counselors were on site.
- Governor Greg Abbot issued a statement. Among other things, he said he would visit Odessa on Sunday.
- Prior to 8:00 p.m., Medical Center Hospital gave an update that seven (7) patients were critical, two (2) were in serious condition. Two (2) were treated and released. One died, and one pediatric patient was transferred to another hospital. Eight (8) patients needed surgery.
- DPS said the Trooper who was shot was in serious but stable condition. DPS said an Odessa Police Officer and Midland Police Officer were also stable.
- UMC in Lubbock said Saturday night that the 17-month old is in satisfactory condition
We also know that GoFundMe accounts have been set up for the 17-month-old and the MPD officer injured in Saturday’s shooting.
Those links can be found below:
Little is known at this time about the victims or the suspect. Police have described the suspect as a white man in his 30’s.
Authorities have not officially identified any of the victim’s or the suspect in the shooting.
– City to host press conference on shooting Sunday at UTPB
– Tragedy strikes Odessa: Here is everything we know
– GoFundMe set up for injured MPD officer
– Photos: Odessa mass shooting response
– Odessa Mass Shooting: What we know about the gunman
See the full news conference from OPD Chief Mike Gerke.