LUBBOCK, Texas — At approximately 2:15 a.m. Friday, Lubbock Fire Rescue was called to a fire at District West apartments.
Firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly, LFR said in a statement just after 11:00 a.m. Friday.
LFR said in its statement that crews were headed to another call when the unit noticed smoke at District West.
According to LFR, the cause of the fire was a candle that was left lit in a small storage closet on a residents’ patio. The resident left it on unintentionally and fell asleep, LFR said.
“The candle ignited combustibles in the closet and spread from there,” LFR continued.
The resident was woken up by the smoke detector and tried to put the fire out with buckets of water but was not successful. That’s when Lubbock Fire Rescue arrived.
EverythingLubbock.com staff on scene said firefighters were mostly focused on the second story of the building. LFR confirmed this and said while firefighters extinguished the flames on the second floor, other crews worked to evacuate other apartments.
Initially, injuries and extent of damage were not known. LFR later said in its statement that there were no injuries, but three adults were displaced from three apartments. Red Cross was not called.
Check back for further updates.