LUBBOCK, Texas – An assisted living facility in Northwest Lubbock was partially evacuated early Saturday afternoon as a result of chemical fumes.
The incident was reported around 12:00 p.m. in the 4900 block of Emory Street at The Plaza.
According to a news release from Lubbock Fire Rescue, an employee disposed of two cleaning chemicals in a kitchen drain.
The chemicals reacted with one another, producing a gas and fumes that affected the kitchen and dining room area.
LFR and facility staff evacuated residents from those areas and sheltered them in their rooms.
Five employees and one resident were overcome by fumes and were transported by ambulance to the hospital.
LFR said they were able to ventilate the building making it safe to occupy.