One home was lost, another had substantial damage and four other homes were threatened Friday afternoon after a fire started in a house near North Frankford Avenue and FM 2641, officials said.
A preliminary investigation showed it may have been an electrical fire that started in a home in the 5000 block of N. County Road 1770, said Clinton Thetford, Lubbock County emergency management coordinator.
The fire was 50 percent contained as of 2:15 p.m. Friday, said Mary Leathers, public information officer for the Texas A&M Forest Service. Three acres were burned.
Fire departments from Shallowater, West Carlisle, New Deal, Wolfforth and the Texas A&M Forest Service all responded shortly after noon, Thetford said.
Officers blocked traffic for a time because smoke was crossing the roadway and reducing visibility for drivers.
Lubbock County was under a red flag warning Friday, meaning there was high fire danger.
“We ask people to use basic common sense,” Thetford said, explaining that any spark can start a fire and spread rapidly with winds.
Officials did not specify how many people were displaced. The Red Cross is assisting those who are displaced.
The Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office said EMS transported one female to the hospital because she complained of difficulty breathing. LCSO also assisted with traffic and evacuation of residents.