Unattended BBQ smoker blamed for damage to two homes in Lubbock

Local News

LUBBOCK, Texas – Lubbock Fire Rescue on Monday provided an update on a fire in the 1300 block of East 24th Street.

The fire was reported on the rear of the house and the back porch area Sunday evening at 9:21. Firefighters were able to keep most of the fire from getting into the home. However, LFR said there was heavy smoke damage.

Officials said there was also minimal damage to the exterior of the home next door.

“The cause of this fire was accidental,” said LFR Lieutenant Phillip Grandon. “It was due to a barbecue smoker being left unattended, ignited, nearby combustibles and spread to the porch and the house.”

Three adults were displaced and sought aid from Lubbock’s Red Cross. LFR said there were no injuries reported. Grandon explained that this serves as an important reminder of to monitor flames closely – especially in the dry heat.

“Use this as a good reminder as to, you know, make sure if you’re barbecuing outside the night, make sure you extinguish the coals or whatever is still smoldering,” said Grandon. “Because right now, especially with our dry conditions, I mean, just anything outside is going to be already just dry, ready to ignite.”

Grandon said that it’s always important to practice fire safety. Whether you’re using a barbecue smoker, grilling or having a small pit fire – Grandon said always make sure you extinguish it completely when you’re done and make sure any combustible materials are out of range.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News Highlights

More News Highlights

Don't Miss

Event Calendar