This story has been updated several times. Please check for updates as the day continues.
LUBBOCK, Texas — The National Weather Service in Lubbock said severe thunderstorms were in for the forecast for Thursday.
“Hail to the size of golf balls, wind gusts to 70 mph, torrential/flooding rain, and an isolated tornado or two will all be possible,” the NWS said.
On Thursday afternoon, as updated continued to come in, the Garza County Sheriff’s Office said, “Travel is HIGHLY discouraged. Every road and highway in and out of Post is flooded. There are many cars that are stranded, and more that are being washed off the roads.”
The Lynn County Sheriff’s office reported several vehicles losing control and crashing about 4 miles north of O’Donnell due to water and mud on the roadway.
Between 10:00 and 11:00 a.m., Lubbock Power and Light reported scattered outages. One was from a direct lightning strike on vital equipment, LP&L said.
- 2:30 p.m. A special weather statement (for wind and hail) has been issued for Spur TX, Jayton TX and Girard TX until 3:00 PM CDT
- 2:18 p.m. TxDOT said, “US 87, from Lamesa to FM 211, and a portion of US 380 in Lynn Co. have been closed to traffic due to major flooding…”
- 2:12 p.m. Flash Flood Warning including Justiceburg TX and Augustus TX until 4:15 PM CDT
- 1:59 p.m. A special weather statement (for wind and hail) has been issued for Spur TX, Jayton TX and Dickens TX until 2:30 PM CDT
- 1:53 p.m. Larry Rodriguez tweeted a video and said, “FM 3332 impassable at Hwy 87 in Lynn County.”
- 12:59 p.m. A special weather statement has been issued for Post TX, Spur TX and Dickens TX until 1:30 PM CDT
- 12:29 p.m. A special weather statement (for wind and hail) has been issued for Slaton TX, Post TX and Tahoka TX until 1:00 PM CDT
- 12:16 p.m. The Garza County Sheriff’s Office said, “Due to heavy rain…. We are asking you to avoid Hwy 84 and FM399. Emergency personnel will be working a multi-vehicle accident.”
- 12:00 p.m. A special weather statement has been issued for Slaton TX, Post TX and Tahoka TX until 12:30 PM CDT
- 11:31 a.m. A special weather statement (for wind and hail) has been issued for Lubbock TX, Slaton TX and Post TX until 12:00 PM CDT
- 11:21 a.m. NWS said: Considerable Flash Flood Warning in Lynn County. 6.17″ of rain has fallen at the O’Donnell West Texas Mesonet site in the past 3 hours.
- 10:41 a.m. Emilio Garcia tweeted an image and said, “Avoid travel on Hwy 87 between Tahoka and Lamesa, highway is flooding quick…”
- 10:39 a.m. Flash Flood Warning including Tahoka TX and O’Donnell TX until 12:45 PM CDT
- 9:49 a.m. A special weather statement (for wind and hail) has been issued for Littlefield TX, Sudan TX and Amherst TX until 10:15 AM CDT
- Airport (LPSIA) Arrivals and Departures
- KAMC News Facebook page
- KAMC Storm Team Weather Lab
- KLBK First Warning Weather Center
- KLBK News Facebook page
- KLBK Weather Facebook
- Lubbock Emergency Management website
- Lubbock Power & Light Outages
- Lyntegar Outages
- Radar — EverythingLubbock.com Interactive Radar
- Ron Roberts KAMC Facebook
- Severe Weather Resource Center from EverythingLubbock.com
- Traffic Cameras from the City of Lubbock
- TxDOT Cameras in Lubbock
- TxDOT Road Conditions
- SPEC Outages
- Xcel Outages
If live coverage is needed, we will place a video player at the top of this article.