KINGSLAND, TX - After she was bit by a water moccasin in a popular swimming spot, an expectant mother shares her story.
Kamri Thompson was on a walking trail near Kingsland.
“We’ve walked it hundreds and hundreds of times,” said Thompson. “I was watching where I was walking but I just thought it was a stick. It just didn’t catch my eye at all. It kind of felt like a needle or something.”
Thompson said she looked down to see a water moccasin with one fang stuck in her sandal the other in the top of her foot. “I knew it wasn’t good, but I didn’t know what was going to happen or anything.”
She was quickly rushed to the hospital, her dad not far behind. Doctors broke the news to the family that anti-venom was not an option.
“In pregnancy, there are certain medications that are not tolerated well. They might have penetration through the placenta to get to the baby and that would require that we don’t use them,” said OBGYN Hospitalist Dr. Sheila Parekh.
Parekh said, “We have to go with alternate methods. Sometimes it’s different medication, in this case there is no other medications that’s considered safe so we have to go with other treatments.”
The family was left with a decision – deliver the baby three months early or treat the symptoms and hope the venom doesn’t spread.
“We just prayed a lot, that’s all we could do, just wait it out,” said Thompson.
Within hours, the venom stopped spreading. Now, she’s back home and looking forward to meeting her healthy baby boy.
According to the Texas Department of State Health Services, about 7,000 people are bitten by venomous snakes across the country each year. Only 0.2 percent of those people die from the bites which is about one out of every 500.
In Texas, one or two people die every year — experts say that’s usually because of delayed treatment. The Texas Parks and Wildlife says only 7 percent of snakebites in Texas each year involves water moccasins.
For anyone who gets bitten, there are several steps to take. Doctors say do not try and treat it yourself. Call 911 immediately so first responders can send the victim to a hospital that has anti-venom.
Also, if possible, take a picture of the snake so doctors can identify it.
(Information from kxan.com)
The third annual Texas Agriculture Memorial Day honored the lives of…
The Texas Department of Insurance recommends asking hotel…
Overall, AAA projects 54.3 million Americans will travel 50 miles or…