LEVELLAND, Texas — On Tuesday, the District Attorney’s office in Hockley County confirmed that Ricky Don Henderson has been indicted by a grand jury on murder charges.

On Nov. 27, 1993, Stephanie Henderson was reported missing from her Levelland home after asking her grandmother to come pick her up. When her grandmother arrived, Henderson was gone.

Stephanie Henderson’s husband, Ricky Don Henderson, told her grandmother that she was in Hobbs, New Mexico, with friends, according to a press release from the Texas Department of Public safety in 2020.

Lisa Dyer. Stephanie’s sister, said today was a day she never thought she’d see.

“I’d given up about five or six years ago. Just decided that he kept getting off. It didn’t matter what they did,” Dyer said.

She said she is still in shock after finding out about the charges.

“I’m still in shock. I mean it’s like, it’s been a long time, a real long time,” Dyer said. “To see it finally getting somewhere, is awesome.”

Lisa said Stephanie’s memory is carried on with them, and say Lisa’s kids still talk about her.

“They were all young in 93 and now they’re all adults with kids of their own and you know we still talk about Stephanie,” Dyer said.

Related story: DPS offers increased reward, seeks leads in 1993 cold case from Hockley County

Ricky Henderson is also a person of interest in the 2018 murder of Levelland woman Jeanie Quinn.

Jeanie’s uncle, John Quinn, said the charges against Henderson give him hope for his niece’s case.

“We now we’re in the direction of having justice for Stephanie and hopefully Jeanie’s justice will follow,” John said.

John said he plans to be back in Hockley County if Henderson does go to trial.

“What he did to Stephanie is pretty much the same thing with what he did to Jeanie,” John said.

He added the reward for information leading to murder charges still stands.

The two families, brought together from the worst of circumstances–Lisa said John has been relentless, and has been her backbone throughout the past few years.

“If it wasn’t for him, this wouldn’t be happening,” Dyer said.

No matter what comes of the charge, Dyer asks for one thing.

“We need closure. We need to know what happened and where she is and let us bring her home,” Dyer said.

Henderson is currently serving a 20-year sentence for delivering a controlled substance to a minor.

Related story: 2-year anniversary of Jeannie Quinn case, and family still waiting on murder charges to be filed