Texas Tech baseball’s Orlando Garcia has been named a finalist for the ABCA/Rawlings Collegiate Shortstop Gold Glove Award, it was announced today.
Garcia is joined by Michigan’s Michael Brdar, Louisville’s Devin Hairston and Old Dominion’s Zach Rutherford as the four at the position up for the honor.
In the field, Garcia was exceptional, recording 70 putouts and tallying 149 assists for a .969 fielding percentage. He also helped turn 29 of Tech’s 48 double plays this season. Tech finished the year third in the conference in fielding & top 35 in the country at .978.
At the plate, the El Paso native cranked 13 home runs among his 67 hits, along with 62 RBI and 42 runs for a .305/.550/.386 line at the plate in 2017. He recorded 20 multi-hit games and a team-best 17 multi-RBI contests, which included six three-RBI performances, two games with four and one seven-RBI bid against New Mexico State on Feb. 21 as a part of a four-hit day.
His 13 dingers were the second time in as many seasons a Red Raider had hit 13, joining Eric Gutierrez, and the fourth-straight year a Tech student-athlete had launched 10 or more.
Garcia finished the year ranked second in the Big 12 in homers (13) & RBI (62), and fourth in slugging percentage (.550). He was also an unanimous All-Big 12 First Team honoree.
Last week, Garcia was selected in the 15th round of the 2017 MLB Draft by the San Francisco Giants.
GARCIA’S 2017 ACCOLADES
– Big 12 Player of the Week – April 10
– Brooks Wallace Award Watch List – April 18
– Brooks Wallace Award Semifinalist – May 11
– Unanimous All-Big 12 First Team – May 23
– Brooks Wallace Award Finalist – May 31
– ABCA Midwest All-Region Second Team – June 14
– Drafted in the 15th Round (456th overall) by the San Francisco Giants – June 14
– ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove Award Finalist – June 19